10 Signs You Might Be Called to Be a Missionary

How can you know you might be a missionary in the making? Just like in other careers, there are certain predispositions that make you more or less fit to the work of a missionary. These are the first 10.

1. You relate very comfortably to the world. You’re not of it, but being in it doesn’t make you nervous. Going to a bar to do outreach? “No problem,” you say. You don’t cringe when the lost you are reaching out to speak roughly or inappropriately. If this is you, you share something with our Lord, and you are a missionary in the making.

2. You’re relevant. You know what’s important to the lost. You know what they’re suffering from, their worldview, their current preoccupations. They say the best preachers are those with a Bible in one hand and a newspaper in the other. I don’t necessarily believe you have to read the paper every day, but do you get your audience? Are you an insider to them? If so, you’re on your way.

3. You’re a bit of a jack of all trades. You can lead, follow, do music, art, theater, academics… whatever. You have interests a mile wide. You could talk to a poet one minute and a video gamer the next. You converse with the musician, and later the mechanic, with equal interest in their lives and vocations. The more people groups and subcultures you can relate to, the better fit you are to serve as a missionary in a different culture.

4. You’re an even keel. Those who are easily affected by their emotions have a much harder time with change and culture shock. Steady people don’t suffer this. You take your thoughts and emotions captive to Christ. You don’t suffer from homesickness and you don’t let nostalgia cripple you. You take those captive to Christ for his kingdom.

5. You spend serious time with unbelievers at least a few times a month. Not in school, not at work, but in your free time -like Jesus. Most believers prefer their safe Christian bubble. You don’t. That’s why you might be a missionary in the making.

6. You have a heart for the lost. Think of the famous anecdote about D.L. Moody and what he saw when he looked out his window. You see dead souls walking, needing a savior.

7. That heart for the lost manifests itself in actions. You start evangelism groups, homeless outreach groups, and service groups. You go on mission trips and help whenever you can. If you’re bothered by the lack of outreach to the lost, you might be called to be a missionary.

8. You love the unlovable. This one’s hard for me. Many people on the missions path, I’ve noticed, are better and more loving with those people that require extra grace. If you love the unlovable, you could be a missionary in the making.

9. You love languages and learning in general. You wouldn’t mind doing higher education. Missionaries are normally intellectually curious. I’ve seldom met a missionary that was closed to the idea of doing more schooling. Missionaries, and those called to the vocation normally have redeeming hobbies that feed the mind, like literature, poetry, music composition, story-telling, art, etc. These as opposed to more passive hobbies like television, video games, and excessive social networking.

10. You’re good with travel. I didn’t say you love it. You can be a missionary if you absolutely love travel, but I’d examine your motives very closely. I’ve often seen the “tourist” missionary who’s in it for the adventure, not the work, and they’re not able to stay put anywhere. A good missionary does well with the stresses of travel, but does not hold it as an idol. If this is true for you, you might be a missionary in the making.

————————–

Now don’t be discouraged if all of these don’t fit you! In fact, most people don’t have all of them when they start full time ministry. These are qualities that are grown on the job as well. If 6 to 8 of these can apply to you, and if most resonated with you and motivated you, I encourage you to continue seeking out your calling.

More to come soon!

87 Responses to “10 Signs You Might Be Called to Be a Missionary”

1. Stacey February 18, 2011 at 5:52 am #

I’m struggling with this right now and I just am not sure if I’m cut out to be a missionary… I have most of these kinds of traits so that’s kinda good but I feel like i need to have a lot more passion than I do… and I am really not that good at learning the Bible… I am horrible at bible classes… I love them but I am not a straight A student… so I’m still wondering if this is for me.

• Jordan February 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Stacey, 1st Corinthians 13:1-4 comes to mind. In a Western culture, we place much emphasis on education. However, we can understand all mysteries and knowledge, but if we have not love, we have nothing. Though education is important, it doesn’t hold a candle to your ability to love. Love is what makes the missionary. That’s why a bunch of fishermen, some of whom were most likely illiterate, turned the world upside down.

I encourage you to seek that passion. In the moments that you have felt that die hard passion for the lost, when Philippians 3:7-8 was the attitude of your heart, what were the conditions that led you there? What disciplines can you practice in order to be closer with the Lord and share his passion for his sheep? Only you know those things. Prayer, even fasting (something we don’t do often in the West,) meditation on the scriptures… I encourage you to adopt tangible practices in order to grow closer to God. Pray to the Lord of the harvest that if it be his will, he send you out into that harvest. Matthew 9:37-38.

Thanks so much for your heart and for writing. I’d be glad to help in any way I can. -Jordan

• frank pontillo May 6, 2011 at 1:47 am #

The Apostles spent three years learning under the master teacher and still they were told to wait after the resurrection for the Holy Spirit before they were to go out and preach. The Apostle Paul went into the desert for three years before he became a missionary. Missionaries need both knowledge correct doctrine0 and love. Its not an either or its both. The name of Christ has been stained in many places because people went before they were ready. This is why the qualification for elder says they be not a “novice”

• DrowningHeta April 23, 2012 at 9:58 am #

Stacey, if you’re struggling with what God’s asking you to do, just talk to Him about it. he will lead you down the right path, just like he does for all that trust in Him.

• Tatiana February 17, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

Stacey,

I will be praying for you, my friend. God will fulfill His will for you. Truth be told, none of us are “cut out” to be missionaries, but you know who refines and establishes us? God. He is the Perfect One. He is the “cut out” One.

I’m currently in a similar state as you, but when I catch myself thinking that way, I have to turn those thoughts around.

God can use you. God can use anyone.

xoxoxo.

2. John February 18, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

Here’s a quote from Jim Elliott as quoted in “Shadow of the Almighty” by Elizabeth Elliott:

———
    “Some have not the knowledge of God – I speak this to your shame.” And they must hear. The Lord is bearing hard upon me the need of the unreached millions in Central Asia. Why does not the Church awake? What a high calling is offered any who will pray, “Send me.”
    Our young men are going into the professional fields because they don’t “feel called” to the mission field. We don’t need a call; we need a kick in the pants. We must begin thinking in terms of “going out,” and stop our weeping because “they won’t come in”. Who wants to step into an igloo? The tombs themselves are not colder than the churches. May God send us forth.

• Jordan February 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

John, thanks so much for your comment. I say a big “Amen” to that paragraph. I hope to dive into that issue of “calling.” I try not to be snarky in my posts. Sadly it’s a part of my writing voice and it’s so thick, I have to edit it out. I am afraid to show too many of my cards in a post about the theological can of worms that is “Calling.” It’s a term that I’ve heard used mostly to justify emotionally based, selfish decisions. It would be hard for me to write about it with a more objective and neutral tone.

The Bible is all the calling we need to reach Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. If everybody waited for a specific message from God, hardly any missionaries would get on the boat.

Thanks for your post, it’s always a pleasure to read Jim Elliot. It’s like a splash of cold water to the face of our lived out theology.

3. zablon mbogori March 18, 2011 at 9:49 am #

wonderful to serve God in missions and evangelism because it is the heart of Jesus and the early commission of the church.

• Jordan March 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

Thanks! You’re definitely right!

4. Kari April 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

I am a senior in high school and, about to enter into college, am asking “What do I want to do with my life?” I have thought about various different career options, and many of them seem to satisfy me for awhile, but then I often get bored of the idea and don’t think that it’s the right job for me. I have already decided that I will at least minor in ministry, (right now I’m considering becoming a children’s counselor and work in a faith based setting), but often times when I dash these other career options out of my mind I think back to Missionary work. The idea in general kind of scares me a little bit, but I have an extreme heart for the lost and broken and I feel as if God is calling me to the mission field. I sometimes think to myself “I need to get out there and be spreading the word of God, I know there will be others who will do it, but if everybody sits here thinking that others can do the work for them, then there will eventually be nobody fulfilling the work of Christ.” I feel like I should get out there and start sharing God’s word and showing His love to others and that if I don’t, there may be somebody that will never learn about Jesus and get saved because I wasn’t there to show them. I feel like this may be where I’m meant to be, but how do I know for sure that God is calling me to be a missionary? What if I can’t do the job as well as some others? I feel like maybe I don’t know as much about the Bible as I should to be able to go out and be a missionary. And how do I get over these fears and discomfort if I do decide to pursue a career in Mission work?

• Jordan April 12, 2011 at 11:43 pm #

Kari, thanks so much for you comment and questions. I’m really excited to see you’re considering missions as a possible career. It’s my heart and passion to encourage others into mission work, so it means a lot that you read and are encouraged.

You won’t be as good a missionary as the best missionary ever, but that’s alright. If you went into business you probably wouldn’t be Steve Jobs, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be a good idea still. There’s only a few Michael Jordans in every field, but it’s the every day people that make the difference.

I’m really encouraged about your passion for the lost. Here’s a post from earlier about the idea of calling. I hope it helps. I don’t believe we need a specific and very clear calling to be missionaries, this is why:

Thanks again for reading and adding to the discussion!

• Antonio March 13, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Anonymous2009/01/18We installed teehtr ball in our patio by cementing the pole in a tire. Also, we had family competition with Bocha, known in Italy and southern South America. As teens, a ping-pong table was a great way to unite father and sons and neighborhood kids. In other words, outdoor and table games from past generations provided recreation and family ties and outreach.

5. Tasha June 28, 2011 at 7:08 am #

I am a younger girl. I was called a few years ago, I went to my mom and dad and said, mom, dad I want to be a missionary! It has been my dream ever since! I love travelling and when there is a new girl in school I am usually the first one the be asked to make them feel welcome. We have a girl with suremble Policy at our school, I walk right up to her, introduce myself and now we are best friends! I think day to day every day what God has done for me and How big he is! I love God and hope you do too! <3

• Jordan September 5, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

Haha Tasha your personality shines through in your comment! We pray you do become a missionary! Keep reading your Bible and praying to the Lord that he would send out laborers into his harvest! That could be you!

6. Tasha June 28, 2011 at 7:09 am #

Oh, I am now in Jr. High!

7. Markus Revus July 20, 2011 at 7:44 am #

I have passion for lost, I love to serve, I response GOD’s calling during mission conference, The church authorized me to preach. When I go back to my secular job in MidEast, as a tentmaker missionary, to start a mission, but sad to say all things turn into opposite.

I visited my previous church that I used to attend before starting for a great task. My joy in sharing the gospel turn into discouragement because most of my previous brethren (same faith) QUESTIONED what I did.

Right now in 2 months I’m living in backsliding. I don’t understand why even ministers and brethren used to discouraged me. Is this the way the LORD called me? to discouraged me?

I know there is a mistake in termds of communication, but to discredit one missionary from a fellow brethren is unthinkable from my side.

Now, I do pray and hope that GOD will bring me to another place just to forget those who QUESTIONED me.

I DO NOT KNOW WHY I SHOULD EXPERIENCE THIS ANOTHER DETOUR OF MY CHRISTIAN LIFE. OR MAYBE I DON’T HAVE CALLING.

by the way I was used by grace by GOD to share his gift of salvation, to preach to others, encouraged other discouraged christian.

RIGHT NOW I’M stuck!

• John June 1, 2012 at 12:12 am #

It seems to me that pretty much everytime Jesus was preaching the gospel and healing people those people who were religious (the Pharisees) – perhaps those at your church – discouraged him: They critized what he was doing, almost never built him up, and never recognized that what he was doing was God’s will. Jesus was crucified and I bet not many of his temple believed in him during those 3 years of ministry (and many still didnt believe after he rose from the dead). Moral of the story – do what is right even if the whole world is against you.

So keep praying for the people at your church, that their hearts be softened and they themselves can do Gods will without being religiously lost.

James 1:2-4
      New International Version (NIV)
      Trials and Temptations

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Persevere in what is right – If some of your sharing the good news of salvation was in anyway innacurate (like what perhaps your brethren were criticizing), then do not give up: Continue to pray incessantly, fast, worship the Lord Jesus, and share the Gospel to people, but also make sure the gospel you preach is accurate. If they question evangelism, rebuke them (gently) with
      this bible verse: Matthew 12:30

New International Version (©1984)
      “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.”

If they say now is not the right time to harvest then read this to them:
      Ecclesiastes 11:4-6
      New American Standard Bible (NASB)
      4 He who watches the wind will not sow and he who looks at the clouds will not reap. 5 Just as you do not know [a]the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the [b]pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things.

6 Sow your seed in the morning and do not [c]be idle in the evening, for you do not know whether [d]morning or evening sowing will succeed, or whether both of them alike will be good.

Cast your cares upon the Lord Jesus. Do not give up sharing the Gospel – Romans 10:15b “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” People will be saved because of your perseverance.

8. Tasha July 25, 2011 at 5:51 am #

Today we just lost our cat, (my brothers) I want to be a missionary to show people and make sure they know who to turn to. When we had her funeral, I turned to God and asked him to comfort me and my family. I know that Gods the only one that can nurse me back to complete health! Reply if you are with me! <3

• Megs May 24, 2012 at 1:44 am #

Oh, praying for you, lady friend…a year later… :)

9. Teresa December 22, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Hey there,

I’m going to be going to Cameroon,Africa in January. For many years I’ve put off going on a mission trip because I thought of it as un-doable as I feared I’d get really sick and die or something to that degree. The Holy Spirit has seen fit to send me there, even though I go kicking and screaming and the Lord keeps moving me forward by the Holy Spirit. My husband and daughter are mission focused and they’re feeling me out as to whether I’d be able to go full time or not. Me, I feel like i’m being pressure played and not having much choice in this but an object and it’s so hard. I just want the ability to make my choice and go through the experience without any expectations on what I will do when I get back. Then comes the question. Is the Lord calling me to be a missionary full time. Many of the qualities listed above relate to me as a person. Some of my greatest giftings are compassion and mercy and I love people and relate to alot of ways to different peoples… Help!!

• Ruthie January 26, 2012 at 6:45 am #

Maybe God just wants you to go this one time?? I think if you feel that you need to go back He will provide a way :)

10. Ruthie January 26, 2012 at 6:43 am #

I have a lot of these traits, but where do I begin? What country am I supposed to go to? The only language I know is English. I do love going on mission trips! I went on my first one last year when I was 17 years old and now I will be going on another mission’s trip! I love helping those in need!

• Jordan February 7, 2012 at 6:13 am #

Praise God Ruthie! Pray about where God would have you and how you could be used in the most effective way. Also, work on learning another language! Thanks for reading and commenting!

• John June 1, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Begin where you live! Share the gospel of the Lord Jesus to your friends or family or aren’t saved. Share the gospel when in lines at stores or at parking lots. Share the gospel when at parties, cookouts, festivals – you name it.

Ecclesiastes 11:6
      6 Sow your seed in the morning and do not be idle in the evening, for you do not know whether morning or evening sowing will succeed, or whether both of them alike will be good.

As for going abroad, I’m thinking somewhere in Asia – but thats something you have to pray about. I (although I am not an experienced evangelist – ive actually never been on a missions trip though i evangelize (not even close to as often as I should be) here in America) don’t worry too much about where to evangelize because there are opportunities to share the gospel or build up another in Christ everywhere. I will pray for you

In Jesus Christ,
      John

11. Ta'LannaMonique March 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Wow…loving this article. For a while I have felt that God is calling me to the mission field. I’ve gone on two mission trips when I was younger and they were life changing. I have always volunteered in ministry. Many of the traits listed above I have. I love other cultures,l dream of making this my life. I volunteer with an organization called younglife, an awesome ministry that works with kids and teens. (Another passion God has placed on my life)and they work internationally.

The funny thing is my whole life I’ve wanted to be a lawyer. For as long as I can remember that has been my goal. And I always said in a “perfect” world I would travel and open my own orphanage and adopt many children and just spread the word of God everywhere. God has been revealing to me that through him everything is possible. And that all my hearts desires can be mine as long as I keep my eyes on him! And not only can I be a lawyer and advocate. But I can be a lawyer for God! And not have to pay for law school…lol

Its almost as though God is putting the pieces of the puzzle right in front of me and all I have to do is put them in place. But there still is this overwhelming fear. Reaching the lost is my passion. But I am 23 and a single mother of a 2 year old. God sure does pick the unlikely …lol…This article was yet another confirmation that im on the right path. Thank you so much!

• Ermias April 15, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

Waw it’s like z sameting that is rooling in my hurt about z great commision of christ ,i have been a missionary for above 5 years dispite i quit due to my sponcer stops suporting, i came back to the town that am leaving now and i become a teacher ,but the mission is not acompleshed there are stel people are waiting to hear the truth! But who is the messanger am saying am the one who is called for this people so pl. Any true born again christan who is comited to mission for north ethopia pl .dot heastate contact me ,and let’s do to geather befor the day ends.cotact e.mail -ermigech@gmail.com

12. Levick426@gmail.com April 5, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

Thanks for this particular information I was basically searching all Msn in order to discover it!

13. Nuvaani June 1, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

Hi, I was brought up a Christian, my dad is Church of England through and through. And I drifted away from God for a long time, and 3 months ago was saved! :) Praise God!
    And the minute I was saved, I wanted to go out and talk to people about Jesus, and I couldn’t stop talking about Jesus and how amazing our God is! And I knew instantly, 3 years down the line, I wanted to either run an alpha course, or help others struggling to find Jesus. But the most amazing thing happened to me two days ago, a work colleague who is Christian as well was serving a Customer, who happened to me a bishop for pentacostal churches. We all had an amazing conversation about God, and how we are ready to fight for him when Jesus returns! And out of the blue, he turned around to me, and said, “Can I tell you something?” and i said, “of course!”, and then he said again, “Do you mind? Can I tell you something?” , and i repeated again and said, “yes definitly!”… and he said to me, “God is calling you to be a missionary.” ….. and my heart was about to melt into a million pieces as I knew this was something I had been thinking about for so long! And a friend of mine who is an elder, when I told him what happened, he said to me “Your definitly being called, I know that for sure!”……. but the problem is, can I do it? I dont know the bible off the back of my hand, I suffer with depression which Jesus has pulled me out of everytime it creeps up on me, and etc. Am I missionary material? And I don’t doubt God, he knows me better than anyone, I know he will give me the strenght, and guidance and everything I need to be a missionary! But where do I start? How do I get this ball rolling?
    God bless

14. Nuvaani June 1, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

Also can I add, I’m a mum of two babies, both under 2 years old, going on mission trips with them is virtually impossible. When I go, it will have to be when their older, and on summer holidays.

15. Maddie July 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

I’m getting frustrated and confused. My dad is a short term missionary and I’ve always been interested in being a missionary. I started getting really intrigued with the idea of living in England a few years ago and I was reading the book Bruchko and it hit me that I wanted to live there and do work with the homeless. I have a special place in my heart for homeless people and my heart goes out to them. The only issue is I don’t know if I’m just thinking God is calling me to do that, I’m constantly having dreams of moving to London but I don’t know. I would love more than anything to work with the homeless and also maybe the huge Muslim population there, but I want to do what God wants. …How do I know what He wants?

• Jordan July 26, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

If you find the answer, let us know! Posts like this help, but more important in prayer and the Bible. Ask God and if you believe you’ve heard anything from him, confirm it first in the scriptures and really test yourself against them. Take every thought captive to Christ.

Then, we’d recommend seeking counsel from a spiritual leader or pastor who can see the issue more objectively. Just make sure you seek counsel from somebody who’s for the Global Great Commission.

16. Melissa July 27, 2012 at 12:47 am #

Hi Brother and sisters in Christ. I too have a great desire to be on the mission field. I have had this desire for many years. The things that have kept me from diving in have been basically insecurities and inadequacies that should have been dealt with through the washing of the word. I came very close to going to Australia about 25 years ago, ( I listened to people that I thought were great counsel, but instead I was discouraged and made to fell that I was not “spiritual” enough. This was a horrible mistake. I allowed others to become a hindrance to Gods call on my life. If you have the desire to go, then go. No one knows but you and God. But please make sure that you have not glamorized the work of the Lord in your mind. Missions is no piece of cake. But remember the Lord would not call you to do something that you are not prepared to do. Pray and ask God. Hear from God not man. I am now almost 49 years of age. I wonder how many could have been saved if I would have been obedient to the call of God. I ended up backsliding instead. There are two ways to go, the straight and narrow path that the Lord leads and directs, or the curvy path of destruction, (that who knows where you may end up). The devils path is a rip off. Satan will try to get you wrapped up in the cares of this world. Trust in the Lord, He is the good shepherd, he will not allow you to go astray if you allow Him to lead. The fields are white with harvest. We are all called, but who will say “Lord send me.” Pray for me, I have been asked to go to Pakistan. Pray that I will be obedient and that the Lord will not give up until I am in His ultimate plan. I pray a blessing over everyone that comes to this site for answers. “Say Lord send me and go!!!!

17. Melissa July 27, 2012 at 12:49 am #

I put in the wrong E-mail in the post above.

18. sandra orellana August 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

I have always loved helping people since I was in my teenage years and now I am 32 and feel as though Ive been struggling to know if this is for me or if it is what God has called me to do. Ive been back and forth on it for a little over a year. I will be taking my first trip next year so I am excited. I also have a combination of what is in the list above. I am a coupke of months away from having my bachelors in business but went to school saying that I just needed a degee. I can not see myself in suit and tie though, well you know what I mean. I want to to Gods work and share the word and His love that He has put in me.

19. Ana September 23, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Hello Jordan, I love helping and serving people. I am also passionate about teaching, and sharing the word of God, my problem is the last point seems to apply to me because I really love traveling around!! So much! now am confused, wondering if am being selfish. Please help

20. ivy September 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

I fit most of these, I’ve been on mission trips to other countries and never got homesick. I’m always my happiest on mission trips also, I feel so close to God. I have a huge heart for people, I grew up really sad and depressed so I can relate to lost people, and I love sharing God’s word. I love music, I play 3 instruments and want to start a youth worship group at my church. I’m taking French this year. I think God is calling me to be a missionary, the only problem is I’m 15. The few people I have discussed this with won’t take me seriously, saying “You’re young, you have plenty of time to change your mind.” I know I’m still young, I have a lot of growing to do, but I absolutely love doing any types of mission work. My teachers used to call me stupid, and I’ve never felt like college was for me. Now I’ve been looking into DTS (Discipleship training school) and I’m taking this really seriously, I wish my family would understand. I know if it is God calling me to do this it will all work out.

• Littlerock October 24, 2012 at 4:32 am #

I’m 16 and know exactly what you mean. Hang in there and stick it out for God. He knows where He wants you. That’s His job. Yours is to trust and follow. Praying for you :)

21. Littlerock October 24, 2012 at 4:29 am #

I’ve made up my mind after reading this. I’m going to learn from Jonah’s mistakes and stop running around with God on my heels. I bet it’s a lot more enjoyable to be running after God’s heels than Him to be behind yours. No more “Jonah moments”… I’ve only got one life, and I’m going to live it all out for Him. After all, that’s exactly what He did for me.

22. Rachel Alissa November 28, 2012 at 5:25 am #

I know I’m called. That’s not the problem for me. My problem.is what to do next. I want to attend a Christian college in my state and dual major in missions and something else. I don’t know what the something else should be. My mom is really dogging me about being realistic and what if I don’t get a commission somewhere right after college what am I going to do with my life and what happens if I’m called back home how will I make it in the States? Do any of y’all have any ideas of career paths or majors that would be helpful in the mission field but also be successful in America?

23. Karen Murphy December 11, 2012 at 4:19 am #

I am on the right track. 6 to 8 of the signs apply to me. I guess if I wasn’t sure I wanted to do any type of domestic missionary work I am certain now.I am just newly going back to church. I have always loved helping people. I gave 30 years of my life to helping elderly behavior management residents. And it’s funny I always had a soft spot for the residents no one else seemed to like. And I was the only one willing to do spiritual group on Sunday. I was their “Pastor”. I was told by a residents family member a few years ago that I missed my calling. As he thought I already had some religious training and he is a priest!! So I am going to further my career. YEAH

24. Kayla December 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

Hi! I have been so confused about being a missionary or not. It feels like going into missions always comes back to my mind. I am considering becoming a Christian counselor but am not sure. I want to be who God wants me to be. I’m willing to follow Him. I struggle with witnessing to my own neighbors. How could I witness in a foreign field. My church might be taking a mission trip this Summer and I’m thinking about going. I don’t know though. The whole idea about missions makes me nervous and defensive. I feel like I can always come up with an excuse not to commit to be comming a missionary. However, a couple of summers ago when I went on a mission trip in the states, I experienced a peace I had never felt before.

25. Susan December 16, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

I am 55 years old and a medical professional. I have felt a call to missions since I was 22 years old. When missionaries would come to our church and ask if you feel a call to missions, I would always go to the front, with my whole family 6 of them on the back row. I would feel kind of embarrassed, but always felt the call. I sent my children out for years on missions trips as teenagers. They are now all grown and one is a pastor and goes back and forth to India. I have done multiple trips and now have returned from a two week trip in China. I feel called back, but I do have a great job in a hospital 17 years. I donot know where to start, I am alone, downsized to a garage apt and starting a missions class in January… Do feel the urgency to return to China, no fear at all, the last trip I went alone and worked with local missionaries in China.
    Donot know If I am to work there, or raise support or just return for short trips… perfect time in my life, I am alone, kids are grown doing well, grandchildren are 2 and under and in good health..
    Only have a financial committent of a condo on the beach in which God gave me the ability to learn how to do the vacation rental,, it almost covers the notes..
    So now,,, any advise?

26. hanah January 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

Hi! i am Hanah. It’s nice to know that there are people who have a heart for the lost. I know God is in control. He knows His plans for each individual. His job is to fulfill those plans. Like others, I know God is calling me to be a missionary. I sense that God has put me in His process of fulfilling this desire in my heart. What He did first is to calm this intense desire for missions so that I would clearly hear His voice and understand His ways. What’s in my mind now is that whatever opportunities God will give me through this work I have now and the ministry, I will always bear in mind that I am a missionary and have to obey God. He is preparing me for the Great Commission. Little by little, the dreams he has placed in my heart will eventually take place in His time.
    Actually, I got jealous when other young people in our church had the opportunity to get involve in a mission trip… hmm, I know time will come that I’ll be experiencing it too. heheh.. I’ll just trust God’s ways. ^___^
    I’m on the process.

27. simple January 21, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

hi luv dis article. i ve felt d urge to be involve in God work. last year call was made for pple that want to go for mision i indicate.now in our missionary training im been ask where God want me to go but i want the church to chose. must i chose?

28. lorna January 27, 2013 at 10:22 am #

Hello Bro. Jordan! I used to call “bro” because in our community, we call our male members as “brother”. I love this sharing of comments. Anyway, my name is lorna & i’m 30 yrs. old. I found these site because its been quite long time i am looking for an organization who can lead me to be a missionary. I always have that desire to be one yet partly i am frustrated because every time i find one, i have hesitations. First, u need to have money for your expense. Second, since i have a physical defect (her-lip) even though i didn’t see much problem on that because i believed God created me for a reason but its just that i don’t know where to go and what to do for me to be a missionary. I love reaching people who really needs help especially spiritually. In our community, we don’t have much outreach program( i mean, going some places to help people by living with them and being with them) wherein that’s where i find fulfillment in my heart. I hope you can help me from this. Thank for time reading my message. God bless everyone!

29. lorna January 27, 2013 at 10:23 am #

by the way, u can send me directly in my e-mail address.

lornamedrano10@yahoo.com

30. Dakota January 28, 2013 at 6:55 am #

First of all, I am so grateful for this website. It has already answered so many of my questions and given me a lot to ponder over. Secondly, as most who have commented, I really do feel a tug on my heart for missions. I’ve been wrestling with it for a few years now (I’m currently a junior in high school) and no matter how far I try to distance myself, I keep getting called back. The problem is my relationship with God. I’ve grown up in the church my whole life, and I’ve always felt so sure in the strength of my faith, but now I realize that I am so far from where I need to be. Honestly, I feel like I’m stuck in a rut – like my passion for Christ has been replaced with routine, apathy, and laziness. So how in the world am I feeling so called to missions? I just don’t think I have a strong enough relationship with Christ to really share with others adequately the greatness of his love. I don’t feel qualified for this work. Other than that, I feel I meet most of the suggestions in the article, but really, our strength and faith in God is most important. Anyways, (I apologize for wht probably appears to be one repetitive rant) it would be great to hear some advice. Thank you for your time.

31. Rachel February 13, 2013 at 5:29 am #

I read this because I feel deeply called to do something more with my life. To make it about the least of these. But what worried me in this list was the importance of having an even keel. I’m still in high school, but let’s just say it’s been rough. I’ve been going on missions trips for years now, and while without a doubt I know that my passion for them, and for the people we return to, is not to be ignored. But I also know that when I leave, feed the hungry, dance with children, and visit prisons, for me it is an escape. My home life is not a typical church girl’s. It involves drugs, threats of suicide, and hurtful words. I just want out. Far away. So is it okay to be one of “the least of these” but devote my life to missions?

32. Cassie March 27, 2013 at 12:55 am #

Just came across this article. I’ve secretly dreamed of being a full time traveling missionary for years now. Problem is I don’t have a clue how to go about it or how to pay for it. I don’t want to do one of those 1 or 2 week long trips every once in a while. I’m in a perfect position in life to just drop everything and go… I’m single with no kids, I’m very close to being debt free, I don’t have much family in the area to leave behind, and I’m soooooooo sick of the daily grind: get up, go to work, pay your bills, do it all over again day after day until you get old and die. Life is too short to live that way. It’s funny… when I was a teenager before I even believed in God I wanted to fill up a backpack with the bare necessities and go overseas somewhere just traveling around. Now I want to do it with a purpose in mind. Any advice?

• Jordan April 13, 2013 at 12:41 am #

Hmm. I’d recommend getting involved with a Bible based, missions-based church, and following their council. There are too many unknowns regarding where you are in terms of character and other things so I don’t want to just say “go.” You’re at a wonderful place in life. Praise God for that. Try to get involved in a sending church and see what their missions pastor advises. Don’t let the fire die!

33. Leah April 9, 2013 at 3:22 am #

Hi! I truly enjoyed this post and these comments…Last summer I feel like The Lord truly confirmed that He is calling me to foreign missions. I still have a few years before I can truly leave to serve. Right now though I feel so overwhelmed and confused with all of the unknowns in serving The Lord. I truly believe Jeremiah 29:11! I know He is going to use me in absolutely amazing ways!! My prayer right now is that He will use me right where I am and send me to the place I am being called. This waiting period is so confusing though…nobody has any advice for me, and I kind of feel all alone in the steps to take…things I was certain God wanted me to do the doors are now closed for. I guess what I’m trying to say is do other young teens who feel called to the mission field experience this??

• Jordan April 13, 2013 at 12:44 am #

Leah, thanks for your comment. I’d advise getting involved in a great Bible based, mission based church in college and pursuing mission from there. You still have a few years of growth and maturing to do before being sent out as a missionary if you’re a teen. Praise God for your heart. The road to missions is a lonely one sometimes. Get involved with other people who share your passion for the lost and stay missional. Seek opportunities through your church or connections to mission work.

34. Jade Mapes May 3, 2013 at 9:45 am #

I am in love with a woman who is called to go to the mission field. Her first trip is this year. The issue is, I have never had a specific call. All I know is, I am passionate about the truth. I feel a deep calling to the broken, the bleeding, the hurting. I have this issue with the idea that all there is to serving God is sitting on a church pew. And, last but not least, i know beyond a shadow af a doubt that I want to marry this woman. But that doesn’t mean I’m called to the mission field, does it?? What do I do? She has said that she feels I’m sent to her by God. That my gifts and passion and calling are what she has prayed for and needs. But, where is my calling? What do I do? How do I know? My heart bursts with excitement at the thought of going to Uganda, but is it just me excited for an adventure? Or is it God? I need help. Desperately. Please email me. I need guidance…

35. angelica May 21, 2013 at 2:33 am #

I am not sure I am going into high school and I have been asking God what I should be when I am older and I feel like he is telling me to be a missionary once I am older. i have been going to Christian school next year I am going to public and I think that’s is going to prepare me and I do fit a lot of these things, but I want to be sure this is God and not me.
    for the past three years I have been going to peru for about a week on a mission trip for my Christian school and I really LOVE it so I am researching this and seeing if it is God and not me and I am praying. I want to know what you all think so please email me so I can figure out who I am going to be and start preparing

36. Victor June 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

I am wanting to be in the missionary I feel that god is calling me but every time I thank about it I feel all kin if emotions building up inside me because I really want to do this just for the change in my life I do not know nothing about god but I for sure will learn about him I would always want to learn about him he is an amazing person and I know he will give me strength and make me overcome what comes my way in the future and I have a big passion on helping people I love to help people it makes feel good when I help someone and that’s kind of like my motivation helping people so I don’t know if the missionary would be my future but I really want to do this though and I have a passion to also be a traveler it’s my dram but I need some help with if I am able to be good at being a missionary will someone reply please

37. Dustin July 13, 2013 at 10:04 am #

I am a homosexual male trying to find my way back into faith. I’ve denied Christ for for a very long and I’ve come to the point in my life to where I know I’m nothing without the love of god. I have a friend that is teaching me stories and I’m learning so much. I just have these overwhelming thoughts that I need to share my experiences with other people in hopes that they also can feel the glory of god. I may be wrong but I can’t deny this. I want to leave my old life behind and put my life in the hands of Jesus Christ and help others.

38. Seth Olthof July 31, 2013 at 4:55 am #

I am 17 years old, i have been interested in missionary work since i was very young. I have grown up in a family that is very christian oriented. My grandpa is a misionary worker for concern international, he is the director. I have brought that i want to go into the missionary field to him and he ignored me. I have been on several mission trips, and have felt god calling me to do this more often. In the past month or so we have found that my grandpa has been diagnosed with terminal cancer in his liver, well more of in all his organs it is intwined within many organs and blood vessles. he has been given 6 months to 2 years to live. God has told me well has made it clear that i am supposed to take over my grandfathers possision in concern international. I don’t know how to get training were to get it from or how to convince my family to allow me to do this. my dad is very supportive, but i can’t say the same for my mom or other people. What do i do? I need to be pointed in a direction of where to go for help with this. my grandpa is not a choice he is too weak and honestly doesn’t have a good relatiuon ship with me, not that we hate eachother but i don’t really know him very well. Please help, and pray for me.

39. Melissa September 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

I have dreamed of being a missionary for years. I have been praying about most recently after feeling God was calling me to a particular mission. Today I have a meeting with an elder in my church to tell him my desire to become a missionary and ask for his counsel. I know he will ask “why” and at this point I’m not sure.How can I be so passionate and eager,but not have a confident reason why I want to be a missionary?

• Natalia October 14, 2013 at 8:03 am #

Melissa, that’s wonderful!! How did the meeting go?

40. Natalia October 14, 2013 at 7:59 am #

It is about your heart for God and your passion.
    His power is made perfect in your weaknesses.

41. EV. STEPHEN KILEL October 17, 2013 at 11:11 am #

hello, im an evangelist and a social worker here in Kenya. im called to serving the less fortunate in the community. have been serving God since 2007. i have recently started a mission to reaching street children. we are also intending to establishing a vocational training center for the rescued older children from the streets of Kenya. my passion is limited with financial and support. it is with this regard that i wish to ask if there is any body feeling the calling towards that direction and willing to move to Kenya and work with ASYM-KENYA. your time and resources will be of great help to our young ministry. if you contact me im ready to give more details. kilels@yahoo.com

42. Morentalisa November 19, 2013 at 5:07 am #

I’m in the process of considering myself to jump into the missionary world. Been occupied with Chambers,Piper, Washer for months, I feelt he burden become much heavier recently. But regarding the traits that mentioned above, I have lack of capacity/criteria to be a missionary :(

43. Jessie November 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

I wanted to thank you for this wonderful read!!
    I absolutely loved every little bit of it.
    I’ve got you book-marked to check out new things you post…

44. Matthew January 15, 2014 at 5:08 am #

I want to do this 100%!!! Can anyone help me with the direction of getting started. I devote my heart, my soul, and my body fully. Someone please lead me to the path, please!!!

Matthew K.

• David January 25, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

I am a mobilizer with World Team missions agency. I help people that are trying to discern their callings. If you are interested in talking more email me at david.defazio@worldteam.org

45. Joe January 18, 2014 at 12:06 am #

Moses doesn’t fit in any of these list, but he was a missionary.

46. Ann-Marie Wilson February 3, 2014 at 1:36 pm #

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I started in HR and then aid work before going into missions work. I have been p/time missions since 2001 and f/time since 2010. I recognise all you say – and it makes good sense for self reflection, as it spots weaker spots. For me not being an even keel on the inside, but OK on the outside, so I need support to hear my cry for the lost. Thanks!

47. Isaac February 15, 2014 at 5:30 am #

Hi. Thank you so much for this article. I came across it as i was searching about missions. I am in a very confused state of mind in regard to my calling. I am 26yrs old single. From the time i was a kid, i have had a series of dreams about war, i am either a victim or an aid worker or actually carrying ammunition. I have grown up with a heart for the needy, actually, i am very sacrificial. I did a discipleship class at our church, wat came out strong was that i have traits of being merciful and missionary worker. I have been bornagain since 2001. I love being behind scenes. I love learning languages. lately i have heard the urge to reach out to the homeless (infact i started a facebook page), i have also heard the urge to be on disaster response teams. There’s one problem though, am very much interested in apologetics as opposed to reaching out to people who are not interested in objective reasoning, evidence etc. i want to think that missionaries are not usually apologetics. Can someone advise me?

48. Cortney March 14, 2014 at 5:45 am #

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you mature writing this post plus
    the rest of the website is also very good.

49. Alica April 18, 2014 at 12:37 am #

I blog often and I really thank you for your content.
    The article has really peaked my interest. I’m going to take a note of
    your blog and keep checking for new details about once per week.
    I opted in for your Feed as well.

50. telecharger-teamviewer.blogspot.com April 21, 2014 at 5:09 am #

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to
    see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My apple ipad is now broken and she has 83 views.

I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

51. telecharger subway surfers April 21, 2014 at 5:26 am #

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this superb blog!

I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding
    your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward
    to brand new updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

52. Dk April 28, 2014 at 8:01 am #

Wow. So great to see so many young folks here expressing a desire to go and serve. I am a second year seminary student and God has also placed a burden in my heart. Specifically, I believe the Lord has a place for me in Africa. I want to see lives changed and decisions made to serve Christ. My heart goes out to the material need of these people today, but more importantly that they receive the good news and God’s love before its too late. Suffice it to say there are a couple of mountains that must become level plains.

53. annabelle April 29, 2014 at 2:43 am #

Hi..im a dental student…but I have a deep passion to be a missionary…but im not sure if thats Gods plan in my life…my greatest aim ib life is to die as a martyr for Christ..

54. watch belle online April 30, 2014 at 11:45 am #

I visited various blogs except the audio quality for audio songs existing at this site is in fact marvelous.

55. Alynna May 6, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

When I was growing up, all I ever wanted to be was a missionary. But I lost sight of that when life got a hold of me. But after years of being angry with god, I think I’m starting to understand where I’m meant to be. I’m still not where I’d like to be when it comes to my relationship with god, but it’s hard.
    However, all I’ve ever wanted to do is help people. I don’t think there’s any better way to do it. I might not be the most educated person in the world, but this is what I want to do. This is what I feel like god has told me to do.
    I just, I need to know how to become close with him. I’m so filled with doubts and I need someone I can talk to about this.
    I need to know how you all seem to have minimal doubts when I have so many.

56. Ron June 12, 2014 at 10:37 pm #

I am just a year plus Christian but every time when i return from a mission trip i will start thinking of going back. I could not concentrate on my work and it really bothers me a lot.

I had a dream from God with just a word ‘GIVE’ and another time an audible voice ‘GIVE’ while i was sleeping. It woke me up because I was shock. Every time when i start to think of the lost ones out there, i will have goosebumps that flows from my head all the way to my hands and limps. I am always trying to discern if that is a way that the Spirit is communicating with me or if that is of my own emotions.

I am still trying to find the plans that God had for me. Gave up the chance of a job attachment because i felt that i will not be able to do any missionary work over there.

Because I am rather new and lack of the knowledge in His word, I am always doubting myself and the plans God had laid out for me. But one day while i was reading through my digital Bible, God moved the entire tablet by itself and switched to Judges 6. Over there, it talks about the life of Gideon. God chose him to do something great for Israel but he is someone lacking in faith

57. E Trade July 15, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

I have read so many articles concerning the blogger lovers but this article is truly a good post, keep it up.

58. Daniela Sturm July 23, 2014 at 7:13 am #

I have found that I have all the qualities to be a missionary!

LORD,PLEASE SEND ME!I speak many languages, love to communicate, love the LORD, I burn for HIM, I want to build castells in the sky not on sand! AMEN!

59. Daniela Sturm July 23, 2014 at 7:14 am #

I have found that I have all the qualities to be a missionary!

PLease, contact me! I want to be a missionary now!

Daniela

60. Daniela Sturm July 23, 2014 at 7:15 am #

PLEASE CONTACT ME I AM THE PERFECT PERSON FOR MISSION: THANKS:

61. DD August 4, 2014 at 11:36 pm #

I wish to be a missionary. I am going to a public university and I have no idea what I’m majoring, did I mention that I’m a junior? I’ve decided to take up Russian as my “major” but I want something more than to speak and know the country of where I’m from!

Should I take up teaching? My mother is a teacher and I have a natural ability. I’m scared I won’t choose the major that God has planned for me. I’m 18, I have time to finish the two more years, I can extend it another two if I have to.

• Caroline McNiel August 16, 2014 at 11:25 pm #

I know a missionary family, and she was a social work major. I’m a music major at the moment and I wish to be a missionary as well. You can take up teaching then teach in the country where you are if you choose to do teaching.
      I hope this helps..!

62. Anjeanetta Bolden August 8, 2014 at 11:10 am #

Hi my name is anjeannett I’m 40 years of age & as long as I can remember I’ve always had a relationship with God I knew he was the one who protected me and I’ve been through so much in life but I always believed that God had a plan for me & I discovered it was to be a missionary I read the 10 ways to know if you could be a missionary and it bought tear to my eyes because I fit every last one of them it took me this long to take time to Google what do it takes to becomes a missionary and this is my 1st step….. what should my next step be?

63. Caroline McNiel August 16, 2014 at 11:20 pm #

I feel like I’m called to go fulltime as well… I am a singer, I have a love for Asian people, and orphans. I feel like I’m 1,2,3,4,6,8,9,and,10. Some people say that this is a calling but I’m not sure. Nobody in my family agrees with this except my dad. I also had a dream about it as well.
    Confused….

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. 10 Signs You Might Be Called to Be a Missionary | Missions Untold | Just A Closer Walk With Thee - September 23, 2013

[...] 10 Signs You Might Be Called to Be a Missionary | Missions Untold. [...]

2. Wycliffe UK blog » Blog Archive » Thinking about mission? - April 16, 2014

[...] Missions Untold website is designed precisely for people exploring mission work. This article, 10 signs you might be called to be a missionary, is a good starting [...]